Fabio Franchino, www.todo.to.it
16 – 19 July 2014
“The purpose of visualization is insight, not pictures” Ben Shneiderman (1999). Data is everywhere. People and objects generate data constantly. Nowadays we are not just data consumers, but we produce a reasonable amount of new and raw information through the interaction with technological devices and the web. Working with this raw data can be difficult because they are not made for providing meaningful information. ‘Data Visualization’ helps to build significant representations of quantitative and relational information. The workshop is an exploration about the visualization techniques for communicating, delighting and telling something interesting. It focuses on the world of abstract information with the aim to discover meaningful and relevant messages.
Wednesday 14.00 – 18.00
– Principles of Data Visualization
– Tools and paradigms to represent dataset
– The importance of the data structure
– Visual perception principles
– The web platform as rapid prototyping platform
Thursday 9.30 – 17.30
– Rapid prototyping as learning tool
– D3.js library introduction
– Find and prepare datasets
– Representation step by step
– Benefits of interactivity
– Animation techniques
– Preliminary visualization prototype
Friday 9.30 – 17.30
– Concept and design phase
– Sketching phase using d3.js
– Project implementation (aided)
Saturday 9.30 – 17.30
– Project refinements (aided)
– Final considerations on final results
– Further possible evolutions
The workshop is addressed to designer, programmers, amateurs and people interested in the data visualization field and in fast prototyping through the Web Platform.
No specific skills are required, nevertheless a basic understanding on the web platform (HTML, CSS, SVG) is very welcome. Furthermore, a visual and creative exploration inclination is also welcome.
Visit the flickr album.